Are you planning for an upcoming move across town or across the country? If so, check out these tips to get you and your family packing and moving!
- Have a yard sale or garage sale and get rid of unused or unwanted items – This is my favorite way to purge items that I no longer need. Some home developments have started their own yard sale Facebook pages, see if your neighborhood has one.
- Assign a different color duct tape to each room so the boxes are easier to identify – Throughout this last move, I really focused on being more organized – the colored duct tape can be a great time saver during the unloading process as you can quickly identify into which room each box should be placed.
- Pack an Unpacking Kit – I talked about this in my previous post and it’s totally worth it!
- Pack spices in a large slow cooker or pot to save space – This tip can really be applied towards any large item like baskets, trash cans, etc. Fill up their empty space with smaller items.
- Tape off all items that can spill like shampoo, cleaners, cooking oils, etc. – the Press N’ Seal product is great for this!
- Buy and re-sell boxes and packing material on Craigslist – There are many places to buy new boxes like U-Haul, and Home Depot. Before you purchase new boxes, I encourage you to try collecting as many boxes as you can by asking friends to save boxes and asking stores (I had great luck with Dollar General and paper towel boxes!) if they have excess boxes that they need to dispose of. Then try looking on websites like Craigslist for free or inexpensive moving boxes and material.
Do you have any favorite moving tips or ideas that have been helpful to you? Share with us in the comments!